Beta Than Last Time  

RSS
stifflered
(@tim)
Young Tree Admin

I'm so proud of the team of builders and Tech on how far we've come. Had to spend a little time just enjoying the game on the new Beta server to appreciate everything that's gone into this project. Thanks for all your hard work, guys.

I decided I'm gonna plop my first tree here on the new server down next to the spawn node (which you can see in the background in the screenshot below). I want to be close to other players when they join for the first time and set myself up for some good trades. It'll be tough with the limited amount of space that I have, but it shouldn't be too bad once I get my roots planted (puns....). 

I made it down to a ravine right underneath my tree and gathered quite a bit of iron and some precious gold. Had to get that golden shovel so I could protect a region around my tree from any potential griefers, since the server is no longer whitelisted. 

My little wheat farm is struggling. The new features added which change how farming works makes it so that you have to harvest your crops when they're done growing or they die and disappear. On top of that, the time they take to grow is longer if you're just using basic bonemeal as fertilizer, and the wheat doesn't drop as many seeds unless I level up my harvesting skills. It's gonna take a bit of work tending to the crops and paying close attention before I can just keep it going mindlessly. 

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by stifflered
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 11, 2018 7:26 am
stifflered
(@tim)
Young Tree Admin

I spent all of my money on fishing bait....

The new fishing mechanic is definitely my favorite part of the Beta server. It removes the possibility of AFK fish farms, which are pretty cheaty and keep chunks loaded when players aren't actually online playing the game, and makes fishing much more interesting. I just love it. 

I'm still only catching Guppies (the grind to level 2 and unlocking the next fish might be a little too long), but I think I've got the record winning largest Guppy caught so far at 2.2cm. I'm looking forward to some fishing competitions in the future. 

Besides all of the fishing, I also bought some Barley seeds and am currently waiting on them to get to the point I can harvest them. I'm basically completely out of food and resorting to begging HunkyHenry to trade me one single blade of Kelp for a Diamond Double Axe (yes, I found Diamonds) so I can have some sort of renewable food supply on hand. He's not budging yet, but I'm gonna keep workin' him. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 12, 2018 6:14 am
stifflered
(@tim)
Young Tree Admin

Bringing Home The Steak

With another day completed I've managed to get a few more features rolled out to the server and made some more progress on my tree. My food needs are no longer a huge deal now that I've got a pack of cows milling about. I nearly died gathering them, but it was well worth the effort.

On the right side of that screenshot you can see I've set up a little gazebo of sorts next to the Node. What you can't see is that players can now open their own chest shops with /shop and items in a chest (or shulker box, furnace, dropper, etc...). It's a pretty simple process to get set up with your own shop - just follow the instructions shown in chat and you can start putting the money you're making from farming and fishing to good use.

Just make sure you drop a GriefPrevention claim area (/claimbook if you don't know what I mean) around your chests or someone can open them and take items out.

After a full day of players using the new farming and fishing mechanics, I learned quite a lot about what tweaks could be made to improve the mechanics overall. Both farming and fishing have had some changes made to the leveling formulas, and some items were changed/added to the list. For example: Oats and Barley were greatly reduced in price for selling/buying so that the early game wasn't too easy, and a new Teff Grain was added as a high-end crop that could be sold for top-dollar (with a bit more effort). 

I'm still only on Level 2 Farming, though, so this hasn't even affected me yet. Errant_Data (Mr. Monsanto) will probably feel some pain from these changes, but he's the one who suggested most of them (even made a spreadsheet with math in it), so it's his own fault. 😛

The Hammer is my favorite custom tool, I think. It makes mining a breeze and I was able to find two dozen diamonds pretty quickly. It's so good, in fact, that I may want to reduce the durability very slightly and remove the wood/stone hammers entirely because they're just too dang good. Still not sure. Right now, I'm enjoying the quick work I'm making of the mines. 

This post was modified 1 month ago 4 times by stifflered
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 13, 2018 7:22 am
stifflered
(@tim)
Young Tree Admin

The Box I Live In

For a while I wondered if there would be any use for the Sticks that get dropped when breaking leaves, but I think I figured it out.

I am a Spruce tree and don't really have other saplings around me that I can get easily. I managed to grab a couple of Oak Saplings, but I haven't planted enough to really get the Planks that I need for my build.

The Sticks that drop from Spruce trees, though, can be crafted into "Dead Wood Planks", which are basically just Oak Planks and are perfect for the walls and stairs around my new house. I had like 8 stacks of Sticks when I started, and that was just enough to get everything you see here done.

Fishing, unfortunately, has a bit of a bug in that the experience gets reset with every server restart. That's lame and means that all my fishing work from before benefited me very little. I'm hoping the dev will reply to my bug report quickly with a fix for the problem, otherwise we may need to do some custom dev work to put in our own solution. That's not really something I want to do, for a few reasons.

Funny thing, I was eye-balling a horse when I first logged on and thinking about trying to tame it, but decided I didn't want to risk dying to Wither Effect. When I took this screenshot, I noticed that it had somehow found its way into my Cow pen. So, I guess I've got a horse now! 😛

I'm tired and sick, so I didn't really get much done today with server updates or build progress, but I guess this is better than nothing. Until next time!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2018 3:40 am
HunkyHenry
(@hunkyhenry)
Seed Registered

You let me know if you need a saddle for that horse... 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2018 3:50 am
stifflered
(@tim)
Young Tree Admin
Posted by: HunkyHenry

You let me know if you need a saddle for that horse... 🙂

I do need a Saddle, but I'm not paying $6,000 for it! 😛

There's not much hope for staying organized....

I did some work on my house, but I'm thinking that my little storage room there just isn't going to be large enough. 

The new Gemstones, Fluxes, and Runes in /mining are going to quickly start filling up some chests if I plan on holding onto them at all. Not to mention all the blocks I now have access to after heading into the Nether. 

The plan is for that second floor to act like a Loft where my bed, an armor stand, and maybe a couple other things will go. And then I'll decorate a living room and kitchen area in the room where the Nether Portal is. Now that I'm looking at all the items I already have, and knowing that there are still plenty more to gather, I may need to really re-consider how I was going to handle storage. 

Next time I may add an extra room underneath this first storage room with a ladder going to it. It will probably be about the same size as the house itself, but should have plenty of room for the storage I need in these early days. That may also be a good place to put the Nether Portal.

Overall the new mining mechanics are a good way to make some money, especially when using a Hammer. I jumped up from around $400 to almost $1000 in just an afternoon, mostly from finding decent Fluxes and Gemstones.

Sometime in the next couple of hours this video will be done processing and you can watch me make progress on all of this over a couple of hours. No commentary, since my voice is still gone, and I don't actually expect anyone to watch this, but, you know, whatever. 😛

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2018 9:04 am
stifflered
(@tim)
Young Tree Admin

Planning My Escape

I would say these last few days have seen a lot of progress, and the more progress I make, the more ideas I have for making the challenge better.

I've decided that I don't want my main base to be near the Node. I'll still keep my Heart log there, and a nice little house, but I've decided to move out to another part of the world to give myself some room to expand in the future. About 2500 blocks away from the Node I found this nice little group of islands that I'm calling my Beach Home. Plenty of space to build, lots of water and even some nearby icebergs I can dig into later, and enough distance that my Nether portal doesn't get mixed up with anyone else. 

While I was out there, I had an idea for how to make Pigs more useful. I'm going to mess around with the idea on a test server and if I can get it to work well then I'll add it over here. I won't go into details on what it is, but here's a hint: It has everything to do with the End. 

I still don't have much in terms of a house, but I'm getting there. As you can see, I desperately need a roof. It's always the last (and hardest) thing for me to build. I think that will be my next project before I make my official move out to the Beach House. The plan is to also add in some custom large Spruce Trees around the house and decorate the landscape a bit so that it looks nice and doesn't ruin the vibes around the Node. 

I've gotta give props to MooseKrazy for helping me out with my shop. She redid the roof for me in return for some glowstone I gave her, and it looks great. Super happy with the result, and hopefully when I get some goods to sell it will all look nice enough to bring people over! I think that a lot of the economy will probably go towards services rather than straight buying of goods, so I have given a little thought to some kind of vouch system for players to easily track hired projects and payments. For right now chat agreements works fine.

The roof looked good enough that I took inspiration from it when building my trading post near Caluss' base. In the future the /trade will only be usable within 25 blocks of another player, so these kinds of trading posts, or at least getting a root out to the Node, will be critical if you want to trade with other players. I think while we have just a few players it'll be fine to keep /trade global, but once things get busy we'll need to change that up, so I'm planning for the future.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2018 5:33 am
stifflered
(@tim)
Young Tree Admin

Day 7 - I, Landscaper

My time working on the house near the Node is coming to a close, and I've been preparing myself for the move over the last few days. Right now I'm debating on if I want to start a video series when I make the move to the new island base, but until then it's important to just focus on making this house around my Heart Log look as nice as possible. 

Can't be having half-finished builds right next to where players spawn into the world.

I finished adding on the second floor and roof of the house, and even got around to decorating the exterior a bit. Trapdoors work well for making it seem like there are windows where there actually are none, and the Cobblestone Walls add a slight bit of texture and depth without cutting into the space inside the house. There's also now a big chunk of rock covering over my Heart Log. That's gone long enough without any protection, and I'm honestly surprised it didn't get blown up by Creepers.

More important than the building itself, though, is the landscaping around it. If the eye is drawn to trees, ponds, and rock formations, then there will be less attention paid to some of the... less aesthetically pleasing features of the house. Using the new non-decaying Wheat grower (craft 1 Wheat with 1 Bone Meal) and Fir Cone Heads, I was able to throw a few little splashes of life around that new players may be curious about. It's all a part of the plan - show off the stuff that people don't know of.

I still need to do quite a bit of work on the East and West sides of the house. Break up the Podzol, clean up the roots, customize the trees, etc.... Probably another week of work on this and it will be about done. Landscaping is my favorite thing to do, though, so I may get done with it faster if I'm feeling creative one day.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by stifflered
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2018 3:15 am
Share:

Want to join the TreeCrafters Gaming Community?

We are in a public Beta Development phase which you can join right now! Click the button below to get the IP Address, important links, downloads, and more.

Recent Forums Posts

Working

Please Login or Register