Dusk on TreeCrafters - No More 1.12.2 Server Updates  

RSS
stifflered
(@tim)
Young Tree Admin

Not only is it time to start really focusing on the move to 1.13.1 and the Beta release of the TreeCrafters server, but it's time to start posting updates more often!

We're coming up on 1 year running strong with the 1.12.2 version of the TreeCrafters server, and with Minecon Earth and 1.13.1 being officially supported by more plugins that we use every single day, we need to start buckling down.

If you didn't catch it, we now have a 1.13.1 server with the TreeCrafters Challenge plugin live on it. We're keeping that server fairly bare-bones with features and customizations, and mostly just using it for testing our plugin's compatibility with 1.13.1... and boy are we tackling some major issues.

If you've already started a new tree on that server (as I encourage all of you to do if you'd like to help us find bugs and squash them), you know that we've run into a few pretty big issues with the plugin. Pylon particle effects don't work, some crafting recipes are wrong, and we even had corrupted data at one point. As Tech and I are finding these issues and fixing them, I've come to realize that the move to 1.13.1 is going to need a lot more focus than I was initially expecting. 

Egg on my face, I guess.

Plus, there's a lot of work that still needs to go into getting a network of servers connected so that we can hop from one server to another without needing to reconnect to different IP addresses. And with all of that, we'll also need to finish up some builds (like the tutorial area which is 95% done, or the Hub which has barely even broken ground).

What does this mean?

It's simple, really: No more feature updates to the 1.12.2 server.

I'll continue to fix any bugs or plug in some minor requests as needed, but the next step in getting ready for Beta is going to take a lot of my time (and those who are helping - looking at you builders), so focus needs to be put on that work.

First things first: The new 1.13.1 server will be getting the most attention to work out the major issues in the challenge plugin and make it compatible with the latest version of MC. Next, Tech and I will finish work on the laundry list of tasks to finish out Phase 6 of Alpha Development on the plugin.

From there, things get interesting....

I'll be purchasing yet another VPS server to get our network of servers set up on. Some of you may be familiar with BungeeCord, which is standard in the industry for setting up multiple MC servers under one network. We won't be using BungeeCord. Instead, I'm working out the differences between Waterfall and Velocity, both of which are heavily optimized forks of the original BungeeCord software. They're also maintained by a couple of the powerhouses in the Spigot community of code contributors, which is a big plus. 

Once that's done, it's time to get the build team active working on the new Server Hub and the final customizations to our world generator. By then most of the plugins we use on the current 1.12.2 server will officially support 1.13.1, and I can get rocking on launching the new server for you all to enjoy.

Through all of that, the existing server will continue to run and you're welcome to keep playing on it. Encouraged, even. New players will be added to that whitelist even while work on the new server network is underway.

There Is No ETA On Arrival Yet

Because of the nature of waiting on a number of core third-party plugins to be made compatible with 1.13.1 (like WorldGuard and WorldEdit), I can't give a timeline for when we'll be starting up this Beta phase. It could be a couple of weeks, it could be another month.

I've been saying for a while that it won't take much longer, but waiting on these plugin developers to finish up support has really taken a long time, and I don't want to assume they'll be speeding up just for our needs. They're going as fast as they can (most of them have lives, after all, and so do I). 

All that to say... no more feature updates to the 1.12.2 server! But that's only because we need to focus on moving to Beta. How's that for being extra wordy? 😛

This topic was modified 3 months ago 2 times by stifflered
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2018 1:32 am
Share:

Want to join the TreeCrafters Gaming Community?

We are in a public Beta Development phase which you can join right now! Click the button below to get the IP Address, important links, downloads, and more.

Recent Forums Posts

Working

Please Login or Register