Creating Atmosphere With The TreeCrafters Music Client
I am so pleased with this newest addition to the server.
One of the best ways to create atmosphere in any game is with music and sound effects, and I have just recently learned how to modify the audio output of the minecraft server to create a more custom and immersive experience for TreeCrafters players. Well, kind of.
With a little bit of tweaking, I have successfully managed to sync an external music client with your gameplay in the game! This means that if you are in certain regions or biomes, are underground caving, if it's day or night, or depending on the activity that you are doing, the music and sound effects of the game will be sent through to the music client that you are connected to and add a significant amount of depth to your gameplay with seamless fading between tracks.
How can you connect?
Getting the custom audio to sync with your gameplay is simple, and takes only a few steps.
- When you log into the server, you'll first want to go into your Sound and Music options and turn off the Music. This will clash with the custom music.
- Type "/jukebox" in chat, and wait just a moment for the game to generate a unique token for you and send you back a link.
- Open the chat and click on the text that shows. This will ask you if you want to open the link in your browser - click "Yes" to proceed.
- In the new browser window that opens, you should see a green bar at top which says "Connected", followed by your player head and name. If you're using a modern browser, you can right-click on the tab and pin it. This tab will now automatically sync your in-game experience with the music client every time you play.
- You're now all set! Head back into the game and as you move around the world and take different actions, you'll start to hear different sound effects and music tracks playing. Travel to different regions, like the Market, and new music will fade in to set the tone for each place you visit.
- If at any time you want to turn off the music, you can simply close the browser tab or turn the volume slider in the music client down.
Plans for the Future
As of right now, there are only a few tracks that are set to play while you are working on your builds (the music will change when you enter or leave the Market as well). In the future, though, I have MANY plans for cool new sound effects to be added. I do plan on making many changes to these features over the coming weeks.
- Different music based on your current Biome
- Sound effects when you're in a cave or near a volcano, waterfall, ocean, or jungle.
- Notification sound when you're mentioned in chat by another player (using @username).
- Notification sound when your tree speaks to you to give you a new challenge or quest to complete.
- Voice-over tutorials when you click a button to learn about a server shop, gameplay feature, or region that you entered.
- Scary music when you're fighting a boss or large group of hostile mobs.
- Different music at Dusk or Dawn so that you know how time is progressing in game.
- Cinematic cut-scenes with voice-over storytelling in dungeon instances or special explorable regions.
This is just exciting
I can't say enough how happy I am with this development. I really hope that you guys enjoy this! Please let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback on the music or sound effects. I'll be happy to hear the ideas that you have and put them into play. 🙂