TreeCrafters Challenge Plugin Dev Log
This thread is like the Alpha Update Log and is for tracking updates to the custom TreeCrafters Challenge Plugin that will be running as the core of our server's challenge.
Log into the test server to try out the latest buggy snapshots before updates are moved to the live server.
- Players can plant a sapling to instantly get a tree with heart log
- Right-click a heart log to get information about the tree and manage details
- Add other players as Co-Owners, Members, and Visitors
- Craft Pylons which can be individually named and teleported to/from the heart log
- Delete a tree (with multi-layered confirmation dialog)
- MySQL and Flatfile Support
- PlaceholderAPI Support
- Rudimentary root checking
- Admins with the appropriate permission will see additional information about player trees
- Wither Effect when a player leaves their roots
- Safe Zones where players can roam freely on an Admin Tree's roots or in WorldGuard regions with the "tcc_" prefix in the name
- Pylons have particle effects which can be unlocked
- Craftable items that let players leave the roots for a period of time without taking damage
Still To Come:
- GUI for quickly seeing all players on their roots, off their roots in protected regions, or off their roots and not in protected regions
- If all logs around a heart log have been burned away, the heart log is considered "dead"
- Players can set the TP arrival location for Heart Logs and Pylons
- Select an item to display for a Pylon in the GUI for easily finding the one to TP to
- Stats tracking for custom Advancements
- Custom items and tools that players can use
- Root mapping finalized
- Various other improvements
Pylons (used to extend range of active root logs by a 50 block radius for a player) - Thanks Mailleweaver for making this GIF.
Root Walker Boots
- /tcchallenge (admins only)
- tcchallenge.admin - Allows access to the /tcchallenge command
- tcchallenge.withereffect - Players with this permission will take Wither Effect damage when they leave their roots
5/3/2018 - Friends
- Add other players as Co-Owners, Members, or Visitors of your tree (they retain their existing tree).
- Co-Owners can access some features by right-clicking the heart log or pylons
- Members can place or break root logs
- Visitors can walk on root logs
- Confirmation dialog for deleting your tree (can no longer break a tree by hand)
- When broken, Pylons now properly drop another Pylon instead of a normal fence post
- Can now plant saplings on snow or tall grass
- PlaceholderAPI Support
- MySQL Database Storage
- More Stats displayed (and others saved for later use)
- Various bug fixes
5/4/2018 - Mapping and Members
- Players can no longer plant a tree within 50 blocks of another existing heart log.
- Player Access:
- Players can set a time limit for other players to access their tree (Hover over the Player head in the GUI and press "Q" to set a time limit)
- When a player is removed from accessing a tree, they are automatically TP'd back to their heart log to avoid taking wither effect
- Players that are given Member access to a tree can now right-click heart logs and pylons to use them for TPing to other locations
- Mapping is now set to show a player when they are within 2 blocks of an active root system. The Action Bar shows if they are connected or not, and also shows the number of wood logs that are nearby (even if they aren't connected to the heart log), if any.
- New Placeholder - %tcchallenge_treetype%
- Total number of placed Pylons are now shown in the heart log GUI
- Players no longer aggro mobs if they haven't planted a tree yet
- Players can no longer interact with chests if they haven't planted a tree yet
- Wide variety of bug fixes and minor changes
5/5/2018 - Hearts and Pylons
- Tree Owners can now set the radius around them that will prevent other players from planting saplings (up to 50 blocks away if they want some privacy, and as little as 0 blocks away if they want close neighbors).
- Admins can right-click any heart log or pylon to view the details about that tree
- New Tree Root activation mechanics
- Only Heart Logs and Pylons can activate a root system (not just any glowstone like before)
- Roots are only active for the players that own the respective tree
- Action Bar info has been updated
- Players who have not placed a sapling yet can no longer interact with Trapped Chests, Ender Chests, Hoppers, Droppers, Dispensers, or Brewing Stands
- The Tree List in the admin GUI now shows different tree types as the icons
- Various bug fixes and improvements to root mapping
5/8/2018 - We Need More Pylons
- Roots are now only mapped out to 50 blocks away from a Heart or Pylon
- This greatly reduces the impact of the plugin on the server
- Only the Roots that are connected to a Heart or Pylon are counted now, instead of all surrounding wood blocks
- Pylon crafting recipe now grants 3 Pylons instead of 1
- Default protected range around a newly planted tree is now 25 blocks (instead of 50)
- Bug fixed where if a player changed the protected radius, and another player planted a tree, the protected radius on the first player's tree would be reset back to default.
- Players are healed and fed the moment they plant a tree
- Various other bug fixes and mapping improvements
5/12/2018 - Usable.
This version of the plugin actually has the base features ready for live servers, though there are still bugs and new features being added in active development going forward.
- Extremely optimized root mapping makes the processing as much as 100+ times faster on large trees. Roots that took longer than a minute to map before now take less than a second.
- New permission: tcchallenge.logcheck allows staff to see the root mapping data and processing time in the Action Bar.
- New permission: tcchallenge.loglisten sends staff a message whenever a player leaves their tree roots.
- New button added to the /tcchallenge GUI which allows you to set the World Name that you want the plugin active in.
- Players will see an Action Bar warning telling them when they are not connected to their logs. In the future this will be replaced with a wither effect punishment.
- Various other big fixes included.
5/15/2018 - To The Server And Beyond!
Forgot to post this the other day. Sorry about that.
This is the version of the plugin released to the TreeCrafters server. Testing for a few weeks and then starting on the next batch of updates.
- Forced console commands to run when a player plants their sapling. These are hardcoded in right now, but we'll make them configurable in the future.
- dmarker add playername icon:tree x:<x-coord> y:<y-coord> z:<z-coord> world:<Worldname>
- cmi setwarp playername true
- Changed the pylon GUI organization
- Added Owner and Tree name under the Pylon Stats when right-clicking a Pylon
- Fixed issue where players with really long names would not be able to plant a Sapling
- Firework sounds when a player logs in (will probably remove this in the future)
- Various other bug fixes and improvements
5/22/2018 - Withered Away But Still Protected
- Players with the tcchallenge.withereffect will take Wither Effect when they leave their roots for more than 5 seconds
- All WorldGuard regions with the "tcc_" prefix are safe for players to walk in without roots
- Unless granted permission, all of a player's roots now have a 3 block radius protection where no other players can place or break blocks
- Players can no longer use different log types to extend their roots.
- Range that players can leave their roots was increased to 3 blocks from 2
- Countdown timer now shows in the Title letting the player to know they need to get back to their roots
- Admin processing data in Action Bar removed
- Permission also removed
- Heart Log now counts as a log so a player can remove all wood blocks and still be safe
- Bug fixed where a player could break a Pylon and get both a Pylon and a Fence
- The /tcchallenge GUI which lists the trees can now search by both player name and tree name
5/24/2018 - Swoosh
- Teleporting to Heart Log or Pylon now plays Enderpearl sound effects
- Bug fix where some players would take wither damage the moment they plant a sapling
- Fix for /sethome command to automatically fire when a player plants a sapling
- Fix for players seeing the countdown before they plant their sapling
- Various other bug fixes and optimizations
6/6/2018 - Oooohhh.... Pretty
- Pylons now have a particle helix floating around them. This can be disabled in a future update.
- Pistons can no longer push Pylons or Heart Logs (they can still pull the Heart Log, but you'll lose the Challenge if you do this so don't)
- If your Heart Log is broken, you lose the Challenge, your inventory is wiped, all Members of your tree will be removed, and all Pylons will be destroyed. You'll be given saplings to start over the Challenge.
- Fixed a problem where deleting a tree with existing Members would cause the former owner to not be able to plant a tree again
- Grief Prevention feature disabled until a bug can be fixed
- Lag issues resolved
- Better handling when using WorldEdit to change blocks connected to (or existing as) a Heart Log
6/26/2018 - These Boots Were Made For Walkin'
- Removed log listener alerts for Admins
- Changed the Pylon GUI button to a fence post from a log
- New protection radius system in place around Pylons and Heart Logs. Currently no barrier preventing other players from entering, but the code is now there to test for any lag issues.
- Particles show at the border of the protected radius
- Changed the Warning message when a player is not on their logs to remind them about Pylons
- Fixed an error relating to roots in the Nether
- Players can no longer place active Pylons in other worlds
- Added the world name where a Pylon is placed to the Pylon lore
- When a tree is destroyed, Dynmap Marker is also now removed.
- Can now create Server trees which have no owner but all players can walk on freely without taking Wither damage. Great for the paths that players will walk on to get places.
- Root Walker Boots
These fancy new boots are crafted using a custom recipe and custom items, and allow you to leave your Roots for an extended period of time without taking Wither Damage.
To craft these boots, first you need to make Dead Wood Planks, like so:
Using four Dead Wood Planks and two Glowstone Dusts, craft the Radiant Wood.
Finally, using four pieces of Radiant Wood, craft the Root Walker Boots as shown in the screenshot at the top.
While wearing the Root Walkers, you'll still get a warning message that you are off your logs, but the Action Bar will change to show the remaining durability, and the Wither Effect will be disabled for you. Once the Root Walkers are gone, though, you'll immediately start taking Wither Effect damage. So, be careful!
7/6/2018 - Preparatory Pylon Particle Possibilities
- Pylon Particle Effects
- Players with appropriate permissions can right-click their Pylons to see different Particle Effects which they can activate on specific Pylons
- Players can unlock the permissions using whatever permissions manager is desired. Can even sell these permissions in a web store. Fully EULA compliant, since they are just cosmetic effects.
- This functionality allows players to build structures with Particle Effects in mind.
- Create an Admin Tree to allow players to walk around in an area freely without taking Wither Effect
- We'll automate this process in the future. For now, do the following:
- Plant a Sapling with any account
- Name the tree "The TreeCrafter"
- Add your account as Co-Owner of the Tree (only needed if you are playing the challenge with your own tree elsewhere)
- Find the tree you just created in the MySQL or Flatfile database and set the owner to "admin" and the UUID to any random string of characters (only needed if you are playing the challenge with your own tree elsewhere)
- We'll automate this process in the future. For now, do the following:
- Fixed protection radius Particle Effect lag
- Send players back to their heart logs with /tpheart
- Dynmap markers are now automatically deleted when a player's Heart Log is deleted or destroyed
- Various bug fixes relating to errors showing up in the console
7/8/2018 - It's The Little Things
- Another change to the MySQL Database Structure
- Barrier blocks removed from protected range temporarily
- Newly placed Heart Logs and Pylons now have a protected range set to 50 blocks by default
- Firework sound when players join the server is removed (replaced with a new feature added to my Parrot Announcer plugin)
- Process for creating an Admin Tree that all players are able to walk on freely has been automated (click the new button in /tcchallenge GUI to start the process)
- If you are a Member or Co-Owner of multiple trees, when you place down a Pylon you will be asked which tree that Pylon belongs to
- Set the default Particle for all of future placed Pylons in the Heart GUI
- Sunburst Particle has a limited range of 100 blocks
- Permissions have been re-formatted to be more consistent:
- tcchallenge.admin (to use the /tcchallenge command)
- tcchallenge.admin.admintree (to create an admin tree)
- tcchallenge.use.withereffect (enables Wither Effect per player when they leave their roots)
- tcchallenge.pylon.particleeffectname (allows selecting a specific Particle Effect for Pylons)
- You can now TP to any other Pylon or your Heart Log after you click the "Teleport" icon in the Pylon menu
- Various GUI lore, item, and organization changes
- Blocks will no longer be placed when right-clicking a heart log or Pylon with something in your hand
- Can now select "No Particle" for Pylons