The Travel Update - Traveling with The Current
Oh, look at that. I'm naming our upcoming updates like Mojang does for MC releases. That's fun.
Due to the nature of the Challenge and players having long root systems, we're going to be making some changes to the Nether and adding a new world for fast travel purposes, plus a few other things.
1. The Nether As We Know It
The Nether has become a bit of a mess, and we only have a few dozen players. In time, the Nether will be hardly traversable or able to be used for player projects and builds, so we need to make some changes.
The current Nether world will remain just as it is, but all Nether portals will be disconnected from automatically going to that world. Instead, all players currently in the Alpha, Veteran, and Northmet groups will be given a permission which allows them to use fancy new portals that go directly to the existing Nether world.
New portals will not be able to be built except with Staff approval. Future players will not have access to this Nether world at all.
2. The New Nether
With the existing Nether blocked off to new players, a new Nether world will be generated. A few things to note about this world:
- It will have a 1:1 travel ratio with the Overworld, which will reduce the meshing of roots and give more space to build
- It will be pre-generated out 40,000 blocks with a World Border.
- Gold Ore will spawn randomly in the world, and when mined will aggro nearby Pigmen
- Chest loot will have a slightly higher rate of Gold items, which will aggro nearby Pigmen when collected
- The custom World Generator will be used (no more weird Vanilla chunks scattered about)
- Nether paths will be created, as well as a Nether Market, reflecting the Overworld counterparts and allowing players to roam on them freely
I will transfer any of your existing builds into the new Nether upon request.
3. Travel with The Current
With the new Nether being a 1:1 block ratio, we need a way for fast travel like the old Nether allowed. Thus, we'll introduce a new world called The Current.
The Current is a free-roaming world with a 1:10 block ratio compared to the Overworld, allowing players to quickly travel from one point in the Overworld to another.
A few key points about The Current world:
- Roots are not needed to travel in this World. The Wither Effect will not be applied to anyone while in The Current. This solves the issue we're having in the old Nether where roots are getting entangled.
- It will be pre-generated out 4,000 blocks with a World Border.
- Ores will be greatly reduced, if not removed altogether, to discourage mining expeditions.
- GriefPrevention will not be active, to discourage building important structures that you don't want to be griefed.
- The world will be perpetually Night to increase the danger of travel, balancing out the fact that you don't have to stay on your roots in this World.
- Custom portals to get to The Current are built similar to Nether Portals, but require different materials to activate.
4. Open for Suggestions
Is there anything that you would like to see come to The Current world? What about the new Nether?
Leave your suggestions below.
I've made some major progress on this, and now we need to prep for the next steps before we switch over.
In order to move forward with this, I need everyone to please post the coordinates of your Nether portals in both the Overworld and Nether in this thread. One week from today, I'll be doing the following:
1. Traveling to each portal you give me and changing it to a plugin-controlled portal. From this point forward, new portals will not be able to be created, and only players in the Alpha group will have access to use those portals.
2. Uploading the new Nether world, which is pre-generated out 20,000 blocks. This world will be 1:1 scale with the Overworld. All new Nether portals created will tp you into that world, and vice-versa.
The Current needs a little more work to make fast travel at a 1:10 scale a thing. I'll keep you posted on when that's ready to roll out. There will be a new portal frame you'll need to use to TP into that world and back.
interesting. i havent made a nether portal yet so... lol
That's actually OK. Instead of moving forward with this update as planned, because the original developer of the plugin was not able to push through some fixes that were needed, this update was postponed. Now we're going to do it when the server moves to 1.13.1 and keep the worlds in 1.12.2 as they are.